Wednesday, February 10, 2010

No more Tempeh!

I don't know why I keep doing this, but I decided to cook tempeh again today.  If I ever, ever am tempted to tread this way again, perhaps I'll look back at this failed experience, documented in black and white and take a different path. Even the definition--a partially-cooked, fermented soy bean cake--should be a forewarning that this is one of those vegetarian foods that needs to remain in the grocery cooler, not in my fridge. Longing for a traditional Italian Bolognese ragu with pasta this evening, I thought I'll just make it with tempeh! 

Everyone knows you should never go to the market when hungry, but yet, I did and ended up with more food than I can possibly cook the next few days and with a package of tempeh.  I should have gone with my first inclincation and cook a winter squash ravioli recipe found on another veggie blog--Grapes and Greens.  So, I did everything just as Marcella Hazan does in her traditional meat Bolognese, substituting the ground meat with tempeh.  I spent quite a bit of time this afternoon with the preparations.  I can't even begin to taste this dish, much less eat a whole serving!  The tempeh looks at best like ground turkey, at worst like sweetbreads or even brains!  My stomach is turning even as I write this. JD says it tastes good, but then he eats offal. I don't know what I'll do with it;  JD says he'll eat it later, but then he is always reluctant to eat leftovers.  My trying-to-be-frugal heart hurts tonight as I realize this will be one to be discarded. What a waste!

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could bring myself to use soy products, but knowing most soy is GMO, I have no way of knowing which might be non-GMO. I really want vegetarian habits, but will not trash my system with frankenfoods.















    ReplyDelete