Thursday, February 4, 2010

Leave this for the professionals!

OK, over the past couple of weeks, I've started and stopped many posts, had good things to say to start but not able to really bring things to a good conclusion, or able to connect my thoughts to my meal plan for the evening.  So, I've left those posts to be edited and re-edited. I really don't know what got into me this evening, but I thought I would prepare Chile Rellenos--not the baked, vaguely Southwesternesque Rachel Ray version, but the honest-to-God, egg-white, then folded-in egg yolk batter version which seems to be de rigeur for any self-respecting "authentic" Mexican restaurant.  Last week, when I was in So. Cal for a conference, a friend originally from the SD area took me to one of his favorite Mexican restaurants in the area. Although they are known for the fish tacos, being a veggie, I opted for the chile rellenos.  Delicious.  Over the years, my forays into Mexican (mainly American-styled Tex-Mex) only yielded, greasy-gross batter laden chiles.  Not so here. Fidel's in Solana Beach gave me a taste of airy-light, melt-in-your mouth, queso fresca chiles that one is supposed to only find south of the border.  I should have been satisfied. Not so, Chile Rellenos have always intrigued me, so when the deep, dark green, glossy poblano chiles beckoned me from Whole Foods, I couldn't resist. I'm a good cook; I have good skills; I have a specifically-designed copper pot for deep frying.  I CAN do this! Charred the chiles--good.  Got the skin off, cleaned out the seeds and membranes without destroying the chiles--doubly good.  Whisked, by hand the egg white batter--proud of myself. Prepared the filling (spinach and queso fresca)--yummy! But here's where it ends.  The whole is not greater than the sum of its parts!  I think I used every pot and pan in the kitchen. Overstuffed, and held together--barely--by toothpicks, the chiles were fragile at best. I think while transferring (delicately said, more like tossing) into the hot oil, batter ended up on every vertical and horizontal space.  I don't think my kitchen will ever be the same.  I'll still be cleaning tomorrow. JD said I should definitely take a picture.  NO WAY! I think after this disaster I could potentially qualify for the show "The Worst Cooks in America".  Don't get me wrong, it tasted OK, but it was not worth the time, not worth the mess, and definitely not worth the calories.  Leave this to the professionals.  The only saving grace about this meal was the tomatilla-avocado salsa--a definite keeper.  Perhaps a re-do for Super Bowl Sunday!

Tomatilla-Avocado Salsa (Salsa Verde)
4-5 medium tomatillas, dehusked, tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper, roasted for approx 5 minutes (broiler)
juice of one lime
2 T chopped white onion
2 ripe avocados
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon coriander
salt and pepper to taste
cayenne pepper or cholula to taste

Combine in food processor, pulse until coarsely blended.  This is more like a tomatilla guacamole, so don't over-process.

No comments:

Post a Comment