Saturday, January 9, 2010

Starting the New Year Right!

It's a couple of weeks into 2010, and I thought I would begin a journal about my goals for the New Year. It's simple: I want to lose 10 lbs, I want to begin bicycling again, but most importantly, I want to become the best vegetarian cook I can be.

A little history: I have been happily married to the same man for 31 years, 7 months and have two college-aged children. I am a hopeless animal lover, currently with four furry friends as my constant companions: Zoe, my 13 y/o, mostly-blind, diabetic "Ms. Barky Von Schnauzer", Puck, my rescue pup--just a big old black dog, "King" George, the adolescent white cat who truly rules the household, and Little Ginger, the rescue bob-tail kitty who contentedly resides at the bottom of the pack.

Over the past 18 months, I have lost 85 lbs and have reached my "official" WW goal, 10 additional pounds and I'll be very happy. I began bicycling (again) a couple of years ago, but last September 1, I had a serious cycling accident resulting in three lower leg fractures and a severe syndesmotic ligament rupture in my ankle. I'm probably close to 90% with my recovery and I hope to get back on the bike soon.

I had always been an accomplished cook, and a true foodie learning the skills as many have from Julia Child and Marcella Hazan. Since I became a vegetarian several years ago, my cooking skills just don't seem to be what they used to be. I have had to totally re-create, re-think, and relearn just about everything related to cooking. Even though I don't eat meat (except an occasional oyster, and I don't think they count as sentient beings), I still consider myself a foodie. My goal this year is hone my cooking skills, becoming the best and most creative vegetarian chef I can be.

3 comments:

  1. Kudo's to you on the blog! Have considered the veggie lifestyle myself, but lack self control when presented with a hamburger. Interested in following you as you grow your blog and curious to see some recipes...might just lure me over to the "green" side...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hamburgers were my addiction. It took a while, but I no longer yearn for them. I still cook them when my kids are around, but I'm totally satisfied with veggie burgers, black bean burgers, etc.

    Thanks for looking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Sis, I think you are already an accomplished cook. I'm to lazy to do all the prep you do. Quick and simple is my motto. I'll never win any prises for cooking and I'm to old to start now.

    ReplyDelete