Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Hardly Haute Cuisine

It's only Wednesday and already it's been a tough week at work.  My job requires that I work with families in crisis, and today was one of those totally gut-wrenching days that makes me wish I had another profession altogether--like bathing cats, or anything!  By the time I was able to tear myself away from the seemingly-endless phone conferences, my original plans for dinner were gone with the wind.

So, what next?  I refuse to give in to the siren call of fast food.  If I'm going to eat something fattening, it might as well have some sort of redeeming value. What's in the pantry?  Pasta, pasta, and more pasta--and also quinoa (not tonight), farro (definitely not tonight). What's in the fridge?  Well, lots of nice winter veggies, but maybe I can resurrect tonight's best-laid plans for another night.  I don't normally use much TVP (textured vegetable protein, AKA fake meat, Boca, Quorn, etc.), but sometimes the need for a quick protein source justifies its use. So, tonight's quick, tasty, more-calories-than-I-need meal came in the form of a vegetarian "Pasticcio", sort of a Greek "beefaroni".  Sounds delish, right? Well, it actually was-real comfort food.

As JD and I were talking over dinner, I realized that the first meal I ever cooked for him was a Greek Pasticcio, probably made with ground beef instead of the traditional lamb. I'm not even sure you could get lamb in Birmingham, AL in the '70's.  We were teenagers, maybe only 16 or so. I have no idea how it was prepared, only that it was awful!  He had absolutely no recollection of the event--so much for fond memories.

I have found that when reduced to the level of using TVP, its flavor and texture can only be improved by including finely chopped mushrooms.  Mixed with penne pasta, fire-roasted tomatoes, a reduced-fat bechamel (can that be?), and fresh herbs proved to be satisfying indeed.  Recipe to follow, but not tonight!

1 comment:

  1. I agree, when it comes to comfort food, only pasta will do.

    ReplyDelete